Neurosurgery is the field of medicine that specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, surgical treatment and management of the disorders of the nervous system. Neurologists are the main care and treatment providers for patients with neurological disorders who require frequent care. Because the nervous system controls the metabolic system and the overall functioning of the body, neurologists are involved in the diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions affecting other parts of the body too. Patients coming to the neurology department at NMC will find that they are treated by highly qualified and trained neurologists who have access to state-of-the-art medical equipment to provide the best possible treatment for the patient. Advances in the field of neurology mean that today those conditions which were thought in the past to be incurable or difficult to cure completely are no longer so. Some of the conditions treated by a neurologist are:
- Alzheimer’s Disease and Other Dementias: Progressive mental deterioration that is caused by generalized degeneration of the brain.
- Parkinson’s Disease: A progressive disease marked by tremor, muscular rigidity and slow, imprecise movement. It is associated with the degeneration of the basal ganglia of the brain and dopamine deficiency.
- Tourette’s Syndrome and Other Disorders of Function: A neurological disorder, coupled with involuntary tics and vocalizations along with the compulsive exclamation of obscenities.
- Brain Trauma and Other Injuries of the Nervous System: Injury to the brain from an outside force, sometimes leading to an altered state of consciousness and permanent or temporary impairment of cognitive, physical or psychosocial functions.
- Brain Tumors: A mass of abnormal cells in the brain, leading to impaired cognitive function.
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS, Lou Gehrig’s Disease): A progressive deterioration of the motor neurons of the central nervous system, leading to muscular atrophy and paralysis.
- Multiple Sclerosis: A chronic disease involving damage to the nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord characterized by numbness, speech and muscular impairment, blurred vision and severe fatigue.
- Epilepsy: A neurological disorder associated with abnormal electrical activity in the brain causing recurrent, unprovoked seizures and loss of consciousness.
- Stroke and Other Cerebrovascular Diseases: A stroke occurs when a blood vessel is prevented from delivering oxygen and nutrients to the brain due to a blood clot or rupture.
- Migraines and other severe and recurring headache disorders.
The NMC neurological department offers world-class diagnosis, treatment and management for a wide range of neurological conditions.
Copyright © 2017 NMC Pondy. All Rights Reserved.