The stress associated with all the aspects of modern life, social, professional and emotional, coupled with the lifestyle choices that we make, all work together to create conditions where the strain on the heart increases and the possibility of cardiac problems rises significantly. Heart disease is one of the leading causes of death for both men and women. Cardiovascular disease, as it is also known, refers to any medical condition that affects the heart or the blood vessels, or both. The most common heart diseases are:
- Coronary artery disease – This is the hardening or narrowing of the coronary artery.
- Cardiomyopathy – Here the heart muscles get damaged due to disease.
- Valvular heart disease – It is a disease that affects the valves of the heart.
- Angina – This is reduced blood flow to the heart resulting in chest pain.
- Congenital heart disease - It is an inherited or genetic heart disorder.
- Rheumatic heart disease – This is damage to the heart caused by rheumatic fever.
- Cerebrovascular heart disease – It is a disease that reduces the blood supply to the brain.
- Heart attacks – This is damage to the heart resulting from the stoppage of blood supply.
The causes and symptoms of cardiovascular diseases are many and varied and delays in diagnosing the problem exacerbate it.
The thought of a heart attack or other heart condition is frightening, but if the condition is diagnosed early and the right treatment is available, the chances of recovery increase significantly and patients will be able to enjoy the quality of life they deserve. Regular check-ups and tests are key to the early diagnosis of an incipient cardiac condition. In such cases, treatment may require only medication. If the condition is a serious one, early treatment with cutting edge equipment and procedures maximize the recovery potential. At NMC, patients will find the best cardiologists, state-of-the-art medical equipment and procedures to ensure early diagnosis of cardiac conditions and the best treatment options.
Among the services we offer are:
- Implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT)
- Left ventricular assist device (LVAD)
- Surgical procedures for heart failure
- Surgical procedures to treat a range of cardiac conditions