Sitting Too Much and Heart Health: The LinkJul 26, 2021
A great deal has been written about the effect of smoking, stress, bad diet and other factors on heart health.These are all medical facts that cannot be disputed. What is often overlooked is the effect of simply sitting down on the heart. The more you sit, the less you move, and the less you move, the greater the risk to the heart. A sedentary lifestyle is a major contributor to cardiac problems. Even people who exercise regularly and then spend the rest of the day sitting are at risk of heart disease.
The New Smoking
The phrase “Sitting is the new smoking” may sound simplistic, but as extensive research shows, it is completely true. A recent study has found that:
- Those who sit for more than 13 hours a day have double the risk of cardiac problems than those who sat for less than 11 hours.
- Those who sat for less than 30 minutes at a time have half the risk of heart problems as those who sat for longer periods.
- Those who sat for over 90 minutes at a time had double the risk of heart problems than those who sat for a lesser time.
Also Read: A South Indian Diet Plan For Heart Patients
The Effect of Excessive Sitting
Excessive sitting causes several negative effects on the body in general and the heart in particular.
- Blood flow slows down,resulting in fatty deposits developing in the blood vessels that could restrict blood flow and cause heart disease.
- The more you sit, the less the fat in the food you eat is broken down. The less it is broken down, the more difficult it is for the body to use the fat, so it gets stored, which causes weight problems and increased strain on the heart.
- Spending long hours sitting makes the bones weaker, and this places your entire skeletal system under stress. Besides the direct issue of bone, joint, tendon, and ligament problems, the stress on the heart also increases.
- Excessive time sitting can lead to insulin resistance which could cause type 2 diabetes and obesity, both of which are major risk factors for heart disease.
- Being inactive for long periods causes the muscles to become weak,which means they are less effective in supporting other body systems and organs.
- Sitting for too long results in the reduction in the body’s ability to produce various chemicals that the brain needs to grow and to fight stress. Increased stress is a major factor in heart problems.
Finding the right balance between sitting and moving depends onseveral factors – age, weight, lifestyle, medical history, genetic factors, and more. The right way to protect your heart and prevent the development of cardiac issues is to consult a heart specialist in Pondicherry, or wherever you may live. A specialist will be able to examine you, evaluate your heart health and the risk factors that apply to you.The specialist will also prescribe the care, medication, exercise, lifestyle changes, etc., that may be required to keep you healthy and avoid cardiac problems. Those living in Tamil Nadu should go to the leading multispecialty hospital where they will find the best cardiologists in Pondicherry.
Comments - 0
Share Your Thoughts
மாரடைப்பின் எச்சரிக்கை அறிகுறிகளை அறியுங்கள் – தாமதிக்காமல் செயல்படுங்கள்!
7 Proven Ways to Live a Heart Healthy Life
Common Heart Procedures An Overview
Common Tests To Diagnose Heart Disease
All You Need To Know About Coronary Artery Disease
How to Manage Stress at Work? | Heart Health
How Good Sleep Can Keep Your Heart Healthy
Causes of Hair Fall and Prevention
All You Need To Know About Abdominoplasty Or Tummy Tuck Surgery
Staying Healthy During A Pandemic
Healthcare in the Post COVID-19 World
Medical care during a pandemic
A Guide to your Pregnancy Hormones
The Functions Of The Thyroid Gland
எண்டோகிரைன் கோளாறுகள் - வகைகள், காரணங்கள், அறிகுறிகள், நோய் கண்டறிதல் மற்றும் சிகிச்சை வகைகள்
Can Diabetes be cured permanently?
The Importance of Health Packages in Staying Healthy
Whom to See First? General Physician or Specialist?
Knowing When to Go to the Hospital
How to Find the Right Hospital Near You?
Why Multispecialty Hospitals Are the Best
The Dangers of Antibiotic Misuse
What causes excessive burping?
Acid Reflux Should Not Be Ignored
The Importance Of Limiting Time On Tech Devices For Children
Sitting Too Much and Heart Health: The Link
Health Risks While Returning to Work after the Lockdown
A South Indian Diet Plan For Heart Patients
Traumatic Brain Injury - Causes, Symptoms and Treatments
ஸ்ட்ரோக் - சிகிச்சையும் பாதுகாப்பும்
List of Common Urogynaecology Surgical Procedures
Tips for Successful Breast Feeding
The Importance of Regular Gynaecological Examinations
How To Find The Best Gynecologist
The Importance of Self Breast Examination
Understanding the Various Stages of Lung Cancer
Can Lung Cancer Be Diagnosed Without a Biopsy?
Healthy Habits That Can Help Deal with Lung Cancer
நுரையீரல் புற்றுநோய்க் காரணிகள்
கீல்வாத மூட்டுவலி என்பது என்ன?
Herniated Disk: When Is Surgery Needed?
Causes, Symptoms and Treatment of Cervical Spondylosis
Paediatric Care – Choosing the Right Hospital
குழந்தை சாப்பிட வம்பு பண்ணும் பழக்கத்தை சரி செய்யும் வழிகள்
Immunization Chart For The Ages Of 0 To 3 Years