Tips for Successful Breast FeedingJul 25, 2019
Giving birth to a new life can be overwhelming – you’re new to this role and are only getting to know motherhood, while still recovering from the wounds of delivery. The first week can be confusing if you have never breastfed before. Read our advice to get off to the best breastfeeding start:
When does a mother start lactating?
The production of milk in a mother starts when the infant begins sucking on her nipples. The act of sucking initiates the release of two hormones known as, Prolactin and Oxytocin, which are responsible for milk secretion.
Maintaining the right feeding posture:
It is important for the baby to be held in a comfortable position so that the nipple and mouth are in one line.
- Initially, the baby should face the mother when breastfeeding, preferably above the umbilicus to avoid pain to the mother, especially in case of an operative delivery.
- It is advisable for mothers to lift their breast using four fingers. Make sure the baby’s chin is resting on the under surface of the breast with the lower lip everted or folded outside.
- The mother should ensure that the areola is offered to the baby along with the nipple, as the latter may lead to nipple soreness, acting as a deterrent to breastfeeding.
- In case the neck of the baby is positioned in the crook of the elbow, the head will not wobble. The baby’s arm on the feeding side will hang down and not come in the way of feeding. It is important that the mother is relaxed and has an easy hold on the baby.
- Forward bending will lead to nipple soreness, discomfort, and pain in the back and neck.
The truth is, babies are very intelligent, and if the mother persists, they learn to feed well, irrespective of the position! Every mother and her baby are unique, and the final decision is always of the mother. However, this overview may help to decide.
Article by Dr. Chidambaram Ramakrishnan,
Senior Consultant Paediatrician, New Medical Centre, Pondicherry
Comments - 0
Share Your Thoughts
மாரடைப்பின் எச்சரிக்கை அறிகுறிகளை அறியுங்கள் – தாமதிக்காமல் செயல்படுங்கள்!
7 Proven Ways to Live a Heart Healthy Life
Common Heart Procedures An Overview
Common Tests To Diagnose Heart Disease
All You Need To Know About Coronary Artery Disease
How to Manage Stress at Work? | Heart Health
How Good Sleep Can Keep Your Heart Healthy
Causes of Hair Fall and Prevention
All You Need To Know About Abdominoplasty Or Tummy Tuck Surgery
Staying Healthy During A Pandemic
Healthcare in the Post COVID-19 World
Medical care during a pandemic
A Guide to your Pregnancy Hormones
The Functions Of The Thyroid Gland
எண்டோகிரைன் கோளாறுகள் - வகைகள், காரணங்கள், அறிகுறிகள், நோய் கண்டறிதல் மற்றும் சிகிச்சை வகைகள்
Can Diabetes be cured permanently?
The Importance of Health Packages in Staying Healthy
Whom to See First? General Physician or Specialist?
Knowing When to Go to the Hospital
How to Find the Right Hospital Near You?
Why Multispecialty Hospitals Are the Best
The Dangers of Antibiotic Misuse
What causes excessive burping?
Acid Reflux Should Not Be Ignored
The Importance Of Limiting Time On Tech Devices For Children
Sitting Too Much and Heart Health: The Link
Health Risks While Returning to Work after the Lockdown
A South Indian Diet Plan For Heart Patients
Traumatic Brain Injury - Causes, Symptoms and Treatments
ஸ்ட்ரோக் - சிகிச்சையும் பாதுகாப்பும்
List of Common Urogynaecology Surgical Procedures
Tips for Successful Breast Feeding
The Importance of Regular Gynaecological Examinations
How To Find The Best Gynecologist
The Importance of Self Breast Examination
Understanding the Various Stages of Lung Cancer
Can Lung Cancer Be Diagnosed Without a Biopsy?
Healthy Habits That Can Help Deal with Lung Cancer
நுரையீரல் புற்றுநோய்க் காரணிகள்
கீல்வாத மூட்டுவலி என்பது என்ன?
Herniated Disk: When Is Surgery Needed?
Causes, Symptoms and Treatment of Cervical Spondylosis
Paediatric Care – Choosing the Right Hospital
குழந்தை சாப்பிட வம்பு பண்ணும் பழக்கத்தை சரி செய்யும் வழிகள்
Immunization Chart For The Ages Of 0 To 3 Years