Understanding the Various Stages of Lung CancerOct 20, 2021
The idea of cancer is a terrifying one. While there are different types of the disease and some are easier to cure than others, the fact remains that cancer is one of the deadliest diseases known to man. Among the various types of cancer, that of the lungs is perhaps the most dreaded. There is no denying that cancer of the lungs is one of the most serious forms of the ailment, but that does not mean that it cannot be treated and that patients cannot go on to live normal lives. The key to successful lung cancer treatment lies in identifying the condition early and starting treatment without delay. Cancer is a disease that can spread through the body quickly so the earlier it is diagnosed, the less damage it does and better are the chances of recovery.
Knowing the stages of lung cancer makes it easier to understand how the condition develops. There are 2 types of lung cancer - non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) and small cell lung cancer (SCLC).
The TNM system is often used to classify the stages of NSCLC:
- T – The size of the main tumour and how much it has spread to other nearby organs/tissue
- N – nodes: Has the cancer metastasized to the lymph nodes?
- M - metastasis: Has the disease metastasized to organs that are far away?
Also Read: Can Lung Cancer Be Diagnosed Without a Biopsy?
If cough is present and it causes the production of sputum, then testing the sputum may reveal the presence of lung cancer cells.
The 6 stages are:
- The Occult Stage: When the presence of cancer is difficult to detect but mucus from the lungs or cells taken from the airway may show the presence of cancer cells.
- Stage 0: The tumor is very small and the cells have not spread deep into the lung tissue.
- Stage 1: The cancer is in the lung tissue but has not spread to the lymph nodes.
- Stage 2: The disease may have reached the lymph nodes near the lungs.
- Stage 3: The disease has spread deep into the lymph nodes and reached the middle of the chest.
- Stage 4: The cancer has spread through the body and is affecting the brain, liver, bones and other parts of the body.
SCLC is typically divided into 2 stages:
- Limited Stage: In this stage, the cancer is present in only one area of the chest.
- Extensive Stage: In this stage, the cancer has spread to both lungs and may have metastasized to the lymph nodes, bones and tissue.
Lung cancer is a matter of major concern. Regular check-ups are essential in catching the condition early which is when treatment is the most successful and recovery the most complete. A person’s chances of developing cancer are dependent on various factors including smoking, recreational drug use, genetics, lifestyle, other health conditions, etc. The right way to protect yourself from this disease is to contact the best oncologist in Pondicherry (or wherever you live) and get tested for the condition. Once you are clear, the doctor will recommend lifestyle changes that may increase your level of resistance and he will also inform you about future checkups.
Comments - 0
Share Your Thoughts
மாரடைப்பின் எச்சரிக்கை அறிகுறிகளை அறியுங்கள் – தாமதிக்காமல் செயல்படுங்கள்!
7 Proven Ways to Live a Heart Healthy Life
Common Heart Procedures An Overview
Common Tests To Diagnose Heart Disease
All You Need To Know About Coronary Artery Disease
How to Manage Stress at Work? | Heart Health
How Good Sleep Can Keep Your Heart Healthy
Causes of Hair Fall and Prevention
All You Need To Know About Abdominoplasty Or Tummy Tuck Surgery
Staying Healthy During A Pandemic
Healthcare in the Post COVID-19 World
Medical care during a pandemic
A Guide to your Pregnancy Hormones
The Functions Of The Thyroid Gland
எண்டோகிரைன் கோளாறுகள் - வகைகள், காரணங்கள், அறிகுறிகள், நோய் கண்டறிதல் மற்றும் சிகிச்சை வகைகள்
Can Diabetes be cured permanently?
The Importance of Health Packages in Staying Healthy
Whom to See First? General Physician or Specialist?
Knowing When to Go to the Hospital
How to Find the Right Hospital Near You?
Why Multispecialty Hospitals Are the Best
The Link Between Diabetes And Obesity
வாழ்க்கை முறை மாற்றங்கள் மூலம் கொலஸ்ட்ரால் அளவைக் குறைப்பது எப்படி?
The Dangers of Antibiotic Misuse
What causes excessive burping?
Acid Reflux Should Not Be Ignored
The Importance Of Limiting Time On Tech Devices For Children
Sitting Too Much and Heart Health: The Link
Health Risks While Returning to Work after the Lockdown
A South Indian Diet Plan For Heart Patients
Traumatic Brain Injury - Causes, Symptoms and Treatments
ஸ்ட்ரோக் - சிகிச்சையும் பாதுகாப்பும்
5 Things to Know About Cerebral Palsy
Spotting Early Signs of Dementia
List of Common Urogynaecology Surgical Procedures
Tips for Successful Breast Feeding
The Importance of Regular Gynaecological Examinations
How To Find The Best Gynecologist
The Importance of Self Breast Examination
Understanding the Various Stages of Lung Cancer
Can Lung Cancer Be Diagnosed Without a Biopsy?
Healthy Habits That Can Help Deal with Lung Cancer
நுரையீரல் புற்றுநோய்க் காரணிகள்
கீல்வாத மூட்டுவலி என்பது என்ன?
Herniated Disk: When Is Surgery Needed?
Causes, Symptoms and Treatment of Cervical Spondylosis
Paediatric Care – Choosing the Right Hospital
குழந்தை சாப்பிட வம்பு பண்ணும் பழக்கத்தை சரி செய்யும் வழிகள்
Immunization Chart For The Ages Of 0 To 3 Years